How the Station Got Its Name is the twenty fifth episode of the third season and the series finale.
Kara, Becky, and Mr. Conductor go back in time to get a missing part for a lantern. They meet the grandparents of Stacy, Schemer, Billy, and Mr. King and end up learning how the station got its name.
- Mr. Conductor
- Stacy Jones
- Billy Twofeathers
- Kara Cupper
- Emmett the Painter
- Gracie Jones
- William Twofeathers
- Jebediah Schemer
- B.J. King
- Schemer (mentioned)
- Thomas (mentioned)
- Toby (mentioned)
Jukebox Band Segment Song
- Cowboy Medley
- Dan Jones and Horace Schemer do not appear in this episode.
- This is also the only episode that Schemer has not appeared in this season since his debut.
- Gracie Jones, William Twofeathers, B.J. King, and Jebediah Schemer are played by the same actors as their respective successors.
- This is the first time The Jukebox Band's grandparents are seen, albeit living in a piano instead of a jukebox. However, they look exactly like their grandchildren.
- This was the final half-hour episode of Shining Time Station. The show would later return in 1995 for a quartet of hour-long specials.
- Production notes about the series seen on Schmid collectible boxes mention that Shining Time Station was established in 1885. That would make the mysterious Emmett very old indeed!
- It's established that the first Shining Time Station train ticket (to Twiddly Junction) was sold to the mural artist (Emmett).
- The mural gracing the station's walls in the TV show was originally designed and sketched by Wayne White.
- Possibly for time reasons, the first shot of "Toby the Tram Engine" was cut.
- This is the last episode in which Stacy wears a wig.
- During the Cowboy Medley Sheriff Jack Rabbit comes to Rex and Tex and says some quotes. The last one being The whole world is a birthday cake, so take a piece but not too much. This is a reference to The Beatles song "It's All Too Much".
- Ma's voice during Jebediah's telephone conversation is actually sped-up audio from a scene with Stacy and Harry from Promises, Promises.